The City of Chicago's Official Site



Sears, Roebuck and Company Administration Building

Exterior view, photo by Dennis McClendon, 2002     Address: 3333 W. Arthington St.
Year Built: 1905 - 1914
Architect: Nimmons & Fellows , George C. Nimmons
Date Designated a Chicago Landmark: September 4, 2002

Detail, photo by Dennis McClendon, 2002 A looming presence on Chicago's West Side, the Sears, Roebuck and Company Administration Building served as the office headquarters for the largest mail order and merchandise company in the United States for more than sixty years. From its founding in 1894, Sears grew rapidly to become one of the country's largest purveyors of goods to small town and rural America, as well as one of Chicago's most important companies. The building's original two-story section was built in 1905, while the top three floors were added in 1914. This stately Classical Revival and Chicago School-inspired building was designed by George C. Nimmons, a significant architect in Chicago of large-scale industrial and commercial buildings, including the Chicago Landmark Reid, Murdoch & Co. Building.