Address: 1936 S. Michigan Ave. Year Built:
reconstructed in 1900
Howard Van Doren Shaw
Date Designated a Chicago Landmark:
September 28, 1977
When this Gothic Revival-style church was designed--by a prominent New York architect-- the surrounding streets, including Prairie Avenue, one block east, were lined with the homes of wealthy Chicagoans. Members of the congregation included the Glessners, the Pullmans, and the widow of President Abraham Lincoln. A fire in 1900 destroyed much of the church, but it was reconstructed under the supervision of architect Howard Van Doren Shaw. The interior decorations include stained-glass windows by Louis Comfort Tiffany.