The City of Chicago's Official Site



South Shore Cultural Center

South Shore Cultural Center, photo by CCL, 2003     Address: 7059 South Shore Drive
Year Built: 1906 1909, 1916
Architect: Marshall & Fox
Date Designated a Chicago Landmark: May 26, 2004

Solarium, photo by CCL, 2003 The South Shore Cultural Center, originally built as the private South Shore Country Club, is one of the Chicago Park District's most distinctive sets of buildings. Designed by Marshall and Fox (the architects of the Blackstone and Drake hotels), the Cultural Center's stucco-clad Mediterranean Revival style buildings, including the club building, gatehouse and stable, exemplify an architectural style rarely used in Chicago. The club building's lavish first-floor interior spaces retain finely-detailed Classical plaster ornament and grand crystal chandeliers. Today the Cultural Center serves all Chicagoans as home to many major cultural events and exhibitions.