Address: 626 N. Michigan Ave. Year Built:
Philip B. Maher
Date Designated a Chicago Landmark:
October 2, 1991
Founded in 1898, this organization was the first athletic club for women in the United States. The building's architecture illustrates the sophisticated urban ambience of North Michigan Avenue, as it was originally planned and developed in the 1920s. The modern French-style classical design, which is reminiscent of continental-style Parisian elegance, is one of the last standing links to the street's formative years.