Address: 4200 W. Irving Park Road Year Built:
Architect: Date Designated a Chicago Landmark:
December 5, 1990
Originally constructed by Henry E. Nichols as a grocery store with second-floor living quarters, this building is a rare survivor of the type of modest wood structures that were built throughout the outlying neighborhoods of the city in the late-19th century. For many years it housed a drugstore, and reportedly was the location of the Irving Park Road toll station from 1891-94. A familiar landmark of the Irving Park community, it is popularly known by a name that was associated with a later-era tavern. It has been extensively remodeled over the years.