The City of Chicago's Official Site



Theurer-Wrigley House

Exterior, by Allen Hess     Address: 2466 N. Lakeview Ave.
Year Built: 1896
Architect: Richard E. Schmidt
Date Designated a Chicago Landmark: August 10, 1979

Conservatory, photo by Barbara Crane This is an early design by Richard E. Schmidt and, possibly, Hugh M.G. Garden, two architects who were part of the influential Prairie School movement of the early-20th century, but whose first projects were in a more traditional mode. This design is based on the architecture of the late-Italian Renaissance, with Baroque-style terra-cotta details. It was built by Joseph Theurer, the president of the Schoenhofen Brewing Company, who later commissioned Garden to design a new brewery powerhouse. In 1911, Theurer sold the house to chewing gum manufacturer William Wrigley, Jr.