Address: 5760 S. Lafayette Ave. Year Built:
major alterations 1894
Thomas W. Wing
Date Designated a Chicago Landmark:
April 16, 1996
One of the city's few remaining pre-Fire of 1871 residences, this is a rare surviving example in the Englewood community of a large country estate. The Italianate-style brick residence, which is capped by a wooden cupola, was constructed by John Raber, a prominent area businessman, real-estate developer, and politician. The residence's original 6 acre grounds and gardens were so extensive that the house's initial address was on State Street (then South Plank Road), one block to the east.