The City of Chicago's Official Site



Nickerson House

Erie St. and Wabash Ave. elevations     Address: 40 E. Erie St.
Year Built: 1883
Architect: Burling & Whitehouse
Date Designated a Chicago Landmark: September 28, 1977

Detail 2 Detail 1 In the years following the Fire of 1871, the city's Near North Side became a fashionable place to live for wealthy entrepreneurs, including the Leiters, McCormicks, and Ryersons. This impressive house, along with the Cable House across the street, are among the few survivors of that period of development. It was designed for Samuel M. Nickerson, whose financial interests included a liquor and wine business, an explosives company, and founder of the First National Bank of Chicago. Sometimes called the "marble palace," this building's interior is decorated with a profusion of marbles, carved and inlaid wood, tile, mosaics, and hand-tooled leather. Its architects also designed the Church of the Epiphany, which is located in the Jackson Boulevard District on the near West Side.