Address: Chicago River, between Michigan and Wabash Year Built:
Bridge and Bridge House, 1920; Esplanade, 1926
Edward H. Bennett
Pihlfeldt & Young
Date Designated a Chicago Landmark:
October 2, 1991
Conceived as part of Daniel Burnham's 1909 Plan of Chicago, the bridge and upper-level Wacker Drive were designed to improve transportation and to enhance Chicago's riverfront. The completion of the bridge, followed by the Wacker Drive esplanade (1926) and the monumental sculptures (1928), provided an impressive gateway to North Michigan Avenue and led to its development as one of the city's premier thoroughfares.