The City of Chicago's Official Site



Iglehart House

Front Facade, 1989, photo by CCL     Address: 11118 S. Artesian Ave.
Year Built: 1857
Architect:
Date Designated a Chicago Landmark: July 13, 1994

Entrance Detail, 1989, photo by Barbara Crane This is one of the city's oldest surviving buildings, constructed as a farmhouse in an area then known as "Horse-Thief Hollow"--later a part of the village of Morgan Park. The original Charles D. Iglehart farmstead was bounded by 111th, 115th, Western, and Rockwell. The building's front bay and rear wing, which complement its original Italianate-style design, were added in the 1870s.