Schlitz Brewery-Tied House at 2159 W. Belmont Ave. (Former)
Address: 2159 W. Belmont Ave. Year Built:
Date Designated a Chicago Landmark:
July 6, 2011
Designed by architect Charles Thisslew, this Queen Anne-style tied house was built in 1903 by the Milwaukee-based Schlitz Brewery. From the 1890s up to Prohibition, brewing companies built and operated their own taverns, or "tied-houses," throughout Chicago's neighborhoods. This tavern originally catered to a German, working-class clientele who settled in the surrounding North Center neighborhood. The building is clad in a combination of dark-brown glazed-brick at its base and with warm-yellow face-brick above. The highlight of the design is the corner turret clad with pressed-metal classical decoration, including the "belted globe" insignia of the Schlitz Brewery.