Address: Wacker Drive at Wabash Avenue Year Built:
Date Designated a Chicago Landmark:
September 15, 1971
Robert Morris and Haym Salomon, the civilian patriots who are depicted here standing hand-in-hand with George Washington, were the two principal financers of the American Revolution. In the 1930s, a group of Chicago civic leaders formed an organization to raise funds to erect a suitable monument to these three patriots. Noted sculptor Lorado Taft began the design; it was finished by his associate, Leonard Crunelle. The location of the monument was named for Capt. Nathan Heald, commander of Fort Dearborn from 1810-1812.