Address: 1800 S. Prairie Ave. Year Built:
Henry Hobson Richardson
Date Designated a Chicago Landmark:
October 14, 1970
A mature design by renowned architect Henry Hobson Richardson, Glessner House is famous for its site development, innovative floor plan, and rugged Romanesque Revival-style facade. A reminder of what Prairie Avenue looked like when it was home to some of the city's finest mansions, the Glessner House is the only remaining Chicago building by this Boston-based architect. The building was designed for John J. Glessner, an executive with the International Harvester Company. It now contains a house museum, which is part of the Prairie Avenue District.