The City of Chicago's Official Site



Dr. Philip Weintraub House

Dr. Philip Weintraub House     Address: 3252 W. Victoria St.
Year Built: 1940 - 1941
Architect: Andrew Nicholas Rebori
Date Designated a Chicago Landmark: November 18, 2009

Stairwell window Edgar Miller-designed sculpture Living room The Dr. Philip Weintraub House is a significant Chicago example of the first wave of modern houses built in the decade before World War II. Inside and out, the Weintraub House combines the International and Art Moderne Styles, with its asymmetrical forms, composition, and non-historic detailing. The building is the work of Andrew N. Rebori, one of the most idiosyncratic Chicago architects of the early twentieth century, and it embodies his innovations in early modern design and spatial planning. Rebori also designed the Fisher Studio Homes at 1209 N. State Pkwy. in 1936 and the Madonna della Strada Chapel at Loyola University Chicago in 1939, both designated Chicago Landmarks. The Weintraub House interior has handsome artworks by Chicago artist Edgar Miller, whose other significant work includes ornamental windows and art work for Rebori's Fisher Studio Homes and art work for the Trustee's System Service Building by Thielbar & Fugard, also a Chicago Landmark.