Address: 801 N. Clark St. Year Built:
c. 1995 addition (replaced earlier 1930 addition)
Schmidt, Garden & Martin
Date Designated a Chicago Landmark:
October 8, 2008
Prominently located at the northeast corner of Chicago Avenue and Clark Street, this Georgian Revival-style bank building combines simplified Classical-style details with finely-crafted brick masonry and carved limestone. The entrance vestibule features a carved-walnut passage which leads to a light filled banking hall with a high vaulted ceiling and large skylight. The building was designed by the architectural firm of Schmidt, Garden & Martin, one of Chicago's most important and notable architectural firms in the late 19th and early-20th centuries. The north half of the building is a later addition from 1995 which mimics the original design.
The bank's founders, principal stockholders, and the majority of its patrons were of German descent, an ethnic group that comprised much of the surrounding Near North Side's population at that time.