The City of Chicago's Official Site



DuPont-Whitehouse House

Front Elevation, 1996, photo by Bob Thall     Address: 3558 S. Artesian Ave.
Year Built: 1875 - 1876
Architect: Oscar Cobb and Company
Date Designated a Chicago Landmark: April 16, 1996

Cornice Detail, 1988, photo by CCL This Italianate-style brick residence dates to the early history of the southwest side community of Brighton Park. It was built by the DuPont explosives company for Junot Whitehouse, the superintendent of its gunpowder plant. It was later the home of developer Joseph McCaffery, the so-called "Father of Brighton Park." In 1920, it was moved one block from its original location at 36th and Western.