Address: 36 W. Randolph St. Year Built:
1872-1874; 1889, two-story addition and atrium
Julius H. Huber
Wheelock & Thomas
Date Designated a Chicago Landmark:
November 23, 1983
One of the few Loop structures surviving from the massive rebuilding that followed the Fire of 1871, this Italianate-style building features a cast-iron base topped with a precast concrete facade on its upper floors. An 1889 remodeling made it competitive with newer and larger commercial buildings by adding two floors, a dramatic steel-framed interior atrium, and redesigning the first two floors.