Chicago Landmarks

City Hall-County Building

View from Washington St.     Address: 121 N. LaSalle St./118 N. Clark St.
Year Built: 1905-08 and 1909-11
Architect: Holabird & Roche
Date Designated a Chicago Landmark: January 21, 1982

Exterior view from the NW, photo by Hedrich-Blessing Since 1853, the governments of Chicago and Cook County have shared three different buildings on this site. The monumental, Classical Revival-style exterior of the present structure, which was designed to be a functional and efficient office building, symbolizes the strength, dignity, and vigor of the governmental functions it contains. The County Building was completed in 1908; City Hall was finished in 1911.