Chicago Landmarks

Calumet Park Fieldhouse

Calumet Park Fieldhouse, view from northwest. Photo by Susan Perry, CCL, 2006     Address: 9801 South Avenue G
Year Built: 1922 - 1924
Architect: South Park Commission Architects
Date Designated a Chicago Landmark: October 4, 2006

Center pavilion, view from south. Photo by Susan Perry, CCL, 2006 This cast-concrete fieldhouse on Chicago's Far South-Side lakefront is an excellent example of the Classical Revival architectural style and is comprised of a large central pavilion flanked by two gymnasium wings. Its design elements feature a visually distinctive, rough-textured concrete surface - sometimes called "popcorn concrete" - as well as eyebrow dormers, large-scale round-arched windows, balustrades and cartouches. The exterior also features a pair of Classical-style low-relief sculptural friezes designed by artist Frederick C. Hibbard, a protégé of noted Chicago sculptor Lorado Taft.