The City of Chicago's Official Site



Chicago & North Western Railway Powerhouse

Southwest view from el platform, by Susan Perry, CCL, 2007     Address: 211 N. Clinton St.
Year Built: 1909 - 1911
Architect: Frost & Granger
Date Designated a Chicago Landmark: January 11, 2006

North view from Fulton St., by Susan Perry, CCL, 2007 The Powerhouse remains today as the best-surviving building associated with the Chicago and North Western Railway, one of the city's most prominent historic railroads. The building is a utilitarian but grandly-scaled example of the Beaux-Arts architectural style, noteworthy for its giant round-arched windows and fine cream-colored brick walls laid to resemble rusticated stone. The Powerhouse provided electricity and steam heat to the original terminal, standing passenger cars, and other nearby railroad facilities for over 50 years.