Address: 4605 N. Hermitage Ave. Year Built:
Dahlgren and Lievendahl
Date Designated a Chicago Landmark:
March 1, 2006
Pioneering physician and pharmacologist Dr. Wallace C. Abbott built and lived in this Queen Anne-style house from 1891 until his death in 1921. As an alternative to unreliable patent remedies of the day, Dr. Abbott advanced the practice of medicine in America by manufacturing high-quality drugs in exact doses. His Abbott Alkaloidal Company, founded in 1900 nearby in the Ravenswood neighborhood, grew into today's Abbott Laboratories, an internationally-important pharmaceutical company. The Abbott house has a rear addition from 1906, as well as an unusual surviving wood-frame coachhouse.