During an emergency, the water supply may be compromised or become contaminated. It's important to make sure you have enough water for everyone in your household to last at least 3 days.
- Store 1 gallon of water per person per day (3 gallons per person total) in an easily-accessible, cool, dark place
- Rotate your water supply every 6 months
- Water should be stored in tightly sealed plastic containers labeled with the date they will expire (6 months after storage)
- Keep a small bottle of unscented liquid bleach for purifying water
If you have concerns about the safety of your water supply, you can:
- Boil water for at least 5 minutes at a rapid boil and let it cool before using
- Add 8 drops of unscented liquid bleach per gallon of water and shake or stir. Let it stand for 30 minutes before using. Chlorine smell and taste is normal.
If you exhaust your water supply, you can use the water in your hot water heater by straining it through paper towels or clean cloth and treating it in one of the methods mentioned above.
For Additional Information: